Travelers to Uganda

The day has finally arrived and Lauren, Tessa, Andrew, and myself are sitting anxiously at a gate in O'Hare International Airport awaiting our take off for Amsterdam. If all goes according to plan, we will arrive in Uganda Tuesday evening at 11:15pm (8 hours ahead of central time).

Here is a note from each of the travelers:

Tessa:

“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us” Anonymous

Whoever said this, is simply a genius. Life is always full of surprises and new experiences! I am so excited to explore and be adventurous in Uganda!  I am also grateful for this wonderful opportunity to travel with three other students to Uganda to experience a new culture and conduct independent field research.

Lauren:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. And many of our people need it solely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable view of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain

As we are sitting in the O’Hare airport I cannot wait to start our trip to Uganda.  It’s already (or only) been eight hours since I left Madison and we’ve hardly made a dent.  I am thrilled to have already been in contact with several social protection agencies and can’t wait to start meeting and talking with them. 

Andrew:

So I noticed that everyone was doing quotes to express the upcoming adventures that will reinvent the way we think about life, inequality, and compassion.  The excitement is building up, and really the only thing I can think about at this time is that I am both unprepared yet ready to take on anything that awaits.  So I will say only one quote can encapsulate what this trip will be...“Adventure time!”-Jake and Finn.

And Now a little segment of my future Adventures poem compilation

I proceed without reservations,
A journey to an unknown.
I shudder in anticipation,
Lost thoughts are alone.
determination to learn,
minds blossom as a tree.
A dissertation of adventure,
Knowledge as a key.
To expand on a mission,
As a message of Tawi.

Claudia:

"Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends" Maya Angelou

I could not be more excited to return to Uganda this summer. I am so anxious to see everyone I met last summer and to build more relationships with local groups and partners. The closer it gets to departure the more intensely I find myself craving fresh pineapple and kale from the school's garden. It's unbelievable to me that it has already been a year since I was last in the Jinja area but I knew when I had left that I would be coming back. I am incredibly enthusiastic about the new members we have traveling this summer. After much planning, convincing of parents, and anxiety we are ready to take off and absorb all that Uganda has to offer. We are all very fortunate to be the first ambassadors of Tawi UW, following our transition from The EDGE Project. We hope to work alongside those already established in the community and attempt to expose their perspective on their community to provide a narrative. I would really like to thank my family and friends for supporting my endeavors! See you later America